Thursday, December 06, 2007

How do you keep it going when times are tough?

It's a question I've been thinking about for the last few days. The Triskelion closure hit me harder than I wanted to admit, even to myself. I kept going, delighted when other publishers took my work, but looking back at what I wrote in this time, the strain shows, it really does.
I wrote two books I'm not happy with and I'm currently in the process of rewriting heavily, to the point of making them new. They just weren't up to what I usually write, and I don't understand why I couldn't see it at the time, except that I didn't. I presume it was all the fuss when Triskelion went into bankruptcy, because the rest of my life is as it always was. Stress is a funny thing and sometimes you think you're coping when you're not, but now, I think it's getting better because I can feel it in myself. I'm very tired, still, but that comes with insomnia, but I'm beginning to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. And being British, I hate complaining. A national trait, or it used to be and as a nation we're still not brilliant at complaining.